Accounting and Payroll Assistant
Halifax, NS, Canada
Blue Ocean is seeking an Account Assistant to join their finance team. We are looking for someone who is extremely organized, has a strong attention to detail, loves to learn and work in a team environment. This is the kind of position that will add valuable experience to your resume and offers multiple pathways to meaningful careers in payroll, administration, or accounting. If this sounds like you, you could be a great candidate for supporting our company-wide accounting and payroll functions.
Here’s the deal:
- This is a one-year term salaried position –may become a permanent full-time position at the end of the term.
- The compensation package includes a competitive salary, 3 weeks paid vacation and full group health and dental benefits.
- Generally, your hours would be Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm, however flexibility is a requirement to meet the needs of the business.
What we offer:
- Beautiful office space with loads of natural light, multiple break rooms, internet and TVs.
- Free employee and family assistance program for legal, financial, and health support.
- Employee appreciation events, treat days, and an amazing coffee program, ask us about them!
What you’ll do:
- Prepare monthly invoices, contact clients on overdue billing payments and investigate any billing issues
- Manage accounts payable and prepare the bi-weekly cheque run
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Manage a bi-weekly payroll of approximately 100 employees, and ensure that the employees get paid accurately and on time
- Track expenses for budget purposes on a regular basis
- Balance general ledger accounts
- Filing, daily administrative duties, and updating numerous reports
- Conduct payroll audits and support annual audit
- Stay up to date on current HR and Payroll regulations
- Maintain office wide communication boards with weekly updates and as needed
- Act as backup for phone reception when needed
- Other tasks assigned as needed
What you likely have:
- Experience in working in an administrative, accounting and payroll position
- Recently graduated from college with a diploma in accounting and payroll administration, or equivalent
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task large volumes of work in a fast-paced environment with a high degree of accuracy while meeting deadlines
- Ability to take initiative, and adapt to change and contribute in a team environment
- You are highly proficient in Microsoft Excel, and have experience using accounting and payroll software.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Experience with Great Plains or Ceridian software would be an asset
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please apply to Sue Collings at firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00 am Wednesday, January 23, 2019. Please include your name in the title of your email.
For a preview of life at Blue Ocean, check out our Facebook page!